Wednesday, May 21, 2008

NASCAR Fans Now Their Own Demographic

Fresh off the Kentucky and Oregon primaries, a leading poll now has Barack Obama with an 8% lead of John McCain. Good news, but there is one troubling segment in the article when it breaks down the demographics of who's likely to vote for whom. Here it is:

Barack also leads among independents and some demographics that he has struggled with in the primary: Catholics, Jews, union households, and the working class. McCain led among whites, NASCAR fans, and voters over 65.



I understand the importance of breaking down voters across demographic lines to get a better understanding of voter preference, but when did "NASCAR Fans" become its own demographic? Why not bridge players? Why not gardeners or those who fall into watching ping pong on ESPN 2 at one in the morning on a Friday night? Why can't I have Peter King on my TV with his magical map telling me who fares better with voters who enjoy the likes of Agatha Christie novels? Tell me that Peter King. Tell me that.

Also, I give John McCain three weeks before he's uttering the words "Gentlemen, start your engines!!!" Heaven please help us.

No comments: