Thursday, May 29, 2008

Marketing Thought

Even though I now pursue higher education as a discipline, I still see the world in marketing and advertising terms very often, since my undergraduate degree is in marketing. Marketing thoughts creep into my mind quite often, and every once in a while, I think I come up with a great idea. This morning's otherwise horrific commute happened to be one of those days. Today, I thought of what I believe to be an absolutely brilliant marketing slogan. Before I tell you what it is, let me first set the stage briefly.

I think this message would be targeted to college students, or those who are shortly thereafter removed. It would play on people's reluctance to go out once they are already home because they are tired, unmotivated, or otherwise just plain lazy. So, without further ado, here it is:

Because tonight could turn out to be "remember that night?"


I think it's fantastic. It creates a sense of urgency and maybe even a little bit of jealously, because everyone wants to be part of the night that his/her peers talk about for the rest of their lives. Still don't believe me? Consider one of these possibilities:

Bacardi (r) - "Because tonight could turn out to be "remember that night?"
(Fine Dining Restaurant) - "Because tonight could turn out to be "remember that night?"
Sure (r) Deodorant - "Because tonight could turn out to be "remember that night?"

Who knows? I could have been a wealthy corporate suit thinking these things up, testing them out on target markets, and trying to impress people at coffee shops with my accomplishments.

2 comments:

Kevin Gibson said...

Thanks, I'll be stealing this idea and patenting it. Or, maybe it's copyrighting it. Not sure, but you get the point. I have a business idea I want to talk to you about, too. When you move out here I think we could do big things.

And don't try that mirroring stuff on me if I play fantasy football with you in the future. I know who you are and your mimicking doesn't trick me.

MJ said...

Are you serious about an idea? I'm always up for crazy ideas... I have to tell you about a blog a friend an I are thinking of starting up.