Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sometimes Your Inventions Come True

I've long since had a wonderful idea for a product. Odds are good, in fact, that if I know you personally, I've told you about my idea. It would be a software program component that would scan the body of all emails for variations of the word "attachment" (i.e., attached, attach, attaching) and prompt you after you hit the send button if it doesn't recognize an attached file. This would catch all of the emails that say have a file attached but do not, only to be followed up by an obligatory "Whoops! Forgot the attachment" email. Well, Jonathan K has beat me to it (not as if I was really pursuing it).

This is an option you can enable in gmail:

Forgotten Attachment Detector
by Jonathan K

Prevents you from accidentally sending messages without the relevant attachments. Prompts you if you mention attaching a file, but forgot to do so.



Fair enough. You may have won this one, Jonathan K, but I'll get the last laugh when my "corporate doodles" book gets published.

1 comment:

Kevin Gibson said...

dude i totally thought of you when i saw this feature in gmail a month ago. incredible...it's the same as the whiz master, someone got there before us.