Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Navigating Bureaucracy

The decision to come to Maryland brought a tremendous amount of advantages, which I have discussed here before. One of the disadvantages I've been experiencing is the tremendous amount of bureaucracy one must traverse to get things done. It's like nothing I've ever encountered, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Here's an example of unnecessary bureaucracy with something as simple as a flu shot:

1. Make your appointment contacting UHR Flu hotline 301-314-8885

2. Stop by the Business Office between the hours of 8am-4pm to pick up your ISR form (Jane Tellor) prior to your scheduled appointment date

3. Contact Jane Tellor in advance with the names of your unit if more than 5 employees are wanting this service

4. Give your ISR form over to your clinical nurse the day of your appointment

5. Return the “yellow” customer copy to the Business Office after your visit with your clinical nurse

Insane. I could recount other examples here, too. Room reservations take roughly 30 minutes to secure. Updating websites takes three times as long to go through the proper channels rather than just updating it yourself. If I wish to retrieve, listen, and delete a voicemail on my work phone, I have to punch 27 keys. Recording my name on the phone is a "secret" menu option on the phone directory that isn't listed.

I'm now at the point where I can navigate the bureaucracy, but stand in amazement of the beast that it has become in my life. I do, however, find some solace in this picture.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Ha! It's like you're working at Carolina now. Welcome to my world! The website experience is equally time-consuming here. Should I really need to type out a detailed request of changes, send it to the IT department, wait for confirmation that it has been assigned to a developer, check the site several days later to see if it's been updated, then send another detailed request to correct the typos they left on the page, and repeat the process?! Give me access and I'll do it myself in 37 seconds!