Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Retreat Season is Upon Me

I started my assistantship last week, and I couldn't be happier. It's going to be a great fit. Although, I think I've underestimated--or perhaps even forgot--how many retreats and orientations that happen when one begins a new position in student affairs. And, I had forgotten how they are all clumped together in the middle of August. It's going to be a long haul!

I'm convinced there has to be another way to make these orientations more engaging, but I just can't figure it out. I guess there is no other way. It's going to be an information dump any way you look at it. It's a problem that no icebreaker or teambuilder can solve.

Luckily, early on in my student affairs career I attended what was easily the worst ever graduate school orientation, so by comparison, any orientation is good.

Of course, the major advantage of these retreats is to network with your colleagues. That, on the other hand, has been awesome. This has proven to be a very good decision thus far.

Our apartment is 99% set up now, so we feel pretty good about our new space. Pictures to follow soon!

1 comment:

Julie said...

You didn't enjoy Miami's graduate school orientation? I found the large, dim lecture hall and lengthy discussions of research assistantships to be a perfectly invigorating way to start my graduate career. ;)