Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Things I'm Going to Miss about Ohio, Part III, -- Princess Theater

There surely isn't a lot to do in Oxford, OH for a mid-20s married couple. There are only so many trips for ice cream, so many visits to the farmers market, and oh so many bagels one can eat from Bagel & Deli. But one can never see enough movies for the sweet price of $4.50 for matinées, or $5.50 any other time.

We've seen countless movies at the Princess theater. We average 3-4 per month, and sadly, I think I'm going to miss it. The Princess a strange, faint odor that permeates the building. It only shows four movies at any given time. The website to check show times works 50% of the time. Sometimes the phone line to call for movie times screeches at you as if you've intercepted a fax. There is the same hole in the bathroom wall since I came to Oxford four years ago (they're working on it, I gather). My feet usually stick to the floor because they aren't much on mopping. It's probably the main hangout in town for the high school kids.

With all that said, it has the two most important things any movie theater could ever have: cheap movies and air conditioning. There's something oddly alluring about the Princess theater in Oxford, Ohio, and I know that I'm going to miss it when I'm paying $10.00 to see a movie I'm not all that jazzed about seeing. Because for $4.50, even if it's not a very good movie, it's strangely gratifying.

No comments: