Friday, June 20, 2008

These are a Few of My Favorite Things

One thing that I'm going to miss about the 9-5 life is the routine of it all. Even though my job varies in terms of day-to-day activities, there are some mainstays that I really enjoy, one of which is visiting some of my favorite websites first thing in the morning. These websites have made a big difference in my daily functioning, and I'm going to have to incorporate them into my new routine. I figured since I found them so useful/enjoyable, I'd share them quickly with you.


Newser -- www.newser.com

Newser is a news aggregator. If you don't know what that means, well, prepare to have your life revolutionized. It takes all of the major (and even some obscure pieces), abstracts them for you, and puts them together in a nice, easy-to-use format for you. It's also very customizable so you can get the news you want very quickly. If you want to read more than just the short abstract, it provides the link to the full article below. Check it out; I promise you won't be disappointed. http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

Freakonomics Blog -- http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/
The authors of the wildly popular book, Freakonomics, have an excellent blog on the NY Times site. It covers a wide array of topics, and I read it daily. They get a bevy of cool guest authors on the site to answer reader questions. I once had my question answered by the MythBusters, so it's a winner in my book.

Fark -- www.fark.com
This is a news aggregator on steroids, plus incredibly witty titles. You know all of those crazy news stories you hear about a snake living inside a toilet bowl, or a woman giving birth without knowing she's pregnant? They're reported on fark at least two days before the mainstream media get them. It's a guaranteed laugh every time you visit. Oh. There's real news on there, too.

WatchTVSitcoms
-- WatchTVSitcoms
How this site is still operational is beyond me. It's a huge collection of free music, new and old movies, and TV shows that are embedded into the site so you don't have to download anything. I mainly just listen to the music on there. I especially like the Top 2000 Songs Ever mix.

Lifehacker -- www.lifehacker.com
I only recently stumbled across this site. It's tagline is, "Tech tricks, tips and downloads for getting things done." It's a clearinghouse of sorts on how to make your life better (read: "hack your life"). It has incredibly useful tips about how to get your security deposit back in your apartment, where to get free legal advice, how to clean your bathtub, among many, many others. Hope you find something on here that will hack your life.

I hope these are helpful. More importantly, do you have any sites that you visit regularly that you love? Leave me a comment!

No comments: