Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Playing for Peanuts

Anyone who knows me knows my passion for baseball; that's pretty obvious and well chronicled on this here blog. A lesser known interest of mine is documentaries. I will watch a documentary about anything. Coal miners, dinosaurs, Johnny Cash, autism... I'll watch anything. I've watched all of the documentaries that our public library has in their collection. In fact, I can't *not* watch them sometimes. A personality oddity, for sure.



Well, imagine my surprise last night when I was flipping through the channels while trying to fall asleep to find a documentary series about a minor league baseball team! It's called, "Playing for Peanuts," and from what I've seen so far, it's pretty fantastic. (Full disclosure: it's actually quite bad quality and production, but it's strangely entertaining and captivating.) Here's a synopsis from their website:

"Playing for Peanuts" is a new TV show about minor league baseball. The show uses reality TV and documentary techniques to follow the South Georgia Peanuts in their inaugural season. The Peanuts are made up of a mix of rookies and veterans, all hoping to get back into affiliated minor league baseball. The Peanuts are managed by former Major League second baseman Wally Backman."

No comments: