Monday, June 04, 2007

Reliving Terrible Music

Two key facts about me that you'll need to know for this story:
1. I am a commuter (2 hours a day total)
2. I am a keen cultural observer

That said, on my morning and afternoon commutes, I've noticed an influx of Creed on the radio lately, say in the last three weeks. I probably had not heard a Creed song in roughly two years, but all of a sudden, I started hearing them ALL THE TIME. With Arms Wide Open--Higher--One--My Own Prison. Surely they aren't making a comeback, were they?!!?! There isn't a movement afoot where somehow people think their music is good, is there?!? It couldn't be. Please tell me there isn't a Creed revolution.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, rest assured that Creed isn't back producing new music. It's only their Greatest Hits collection. Let's hope this doesn't spark a comeback. I don't think I could relive that era again.

Side Story: I was interviewed by the Saginaw News a number of years ago when I was student government president at SVSU. They did a profile story on me because I was a "local student leader," (translation: they had a meeting about appearing to be more civically and community-engaged) and the reporter asked me what the worst CD I've purchased in the last six months was. I told him Human Clay by Creed and he was stunned. Flabbergasted. "Creed is one of the defining bands of our generation" he told me. Two mass-commercialized crap CD's later, Creed was no more. So much for defining.

No comments: