Monday, June 25, 2007

I Was a Hambone in College

I came across the word "hamble" today in my readings. I was forced to look up the definition, as I sometimes am when I read. Hamble means to limp or stumble when walking. Interesting, huh? Not in many online dictionaries on which I heavily rely. I had to resort to the mammoth dictionary, which is prominently displayed on a lectern in the corner of our building. In my online searchings for the word, I stumbled across the urban dictionary's closest definition, "hambone."


ham-bone
definition: Term given to male college students who are jocks, gym-rats, beer-drinkers or business majors. They generally attend frat parties and always wear a collared shirt tuck neatly into their pants. Hambones will engage in debates with other hambones that consist of "which are the best Dave Matthews Band lyrics" or the cheapest place to buy a "30-pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon." The best place to spot hambones is at the gym.

usage: Dude, lets go the frat party, they'll be other hambones there and they have a beer pong table.

That is scary. That definition pretty much depicts my undergraduate experience. Replace "Dave Matthews Band" with "Poison," and you've got yourself a match. It's a good thing she wasn't scared off by my hamboning ways! 5 days and counting...

1 comment:

Julie said...

Happy Wedding Day, Hambone! ;) We'll be watching for you on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball tomorrow. Have a great honeymoon!