Saturday, January 19, 2008

Medical News

This was a bit of a nervous week for me.

About two months ago, I was driving home from work and something hit me. I suddenly had very blurry vision and large blind spots with some "stars" mixed in. It was very scary, and I probably should have pulled over. I didn't think anything of the incident at the time. I just took an aspirin and slept it off.

Last Saturday, the same thing happened. But this time, I wasn't driving. I was working out. I quickly went to the doctor on Monday morning, and they did a number of tests on me, including a head MRI that was conducted in a trailer in the parking lot of the doctor's office. I took the test, and was told that I wouldn't find out the results until today.

Well, today at 3:30 I got the phone call from the doctor saying my MRI was normal. It turns out that I have ophthalmic (ocular) migraine headaches. They are quite peculiar, as I only experience blind spots and blurred vision--no headaches, no numbness, no slurred speech. Just blind spots. In fact, if there was a drug that produced such effects, it might be a desirable thing. I will have pills to take when I experience them to minimize the effects and the "hangover" that seems to occur the next day. (I just feel a little run down afterwards.) These migraine attacks might happen once every few years, every few months, or every few days. They are quite the medical mystery apparently.



So, I get off pretty easy this time. I am very thankful and relieved today. If the diagnosis would have been worse, we would have managed I'm sure. I have a great wife, family, friends, and faith to get me through anything. But for this little snag in life, all I'll need is a little pill and some peace and quiet!

No comments: