Thursday, December 20, 2007

Chris Farley

Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of the death of Chris Farley. He was a noted actor and comedian, best known for his memorable characters and sketches on Saturday Night Live. His life was cut tragicall short due to his problems with alcohol, drugs, and weight control.

The reason that I bring this is up is that rarely can I watch something over and over and still laugh out loud. Almost all of Farley's work does this to me, and incredibly, so many others. Rarely does a celebrity death make me think any differently about my life, but Farley's death really shook me when it happened, and it still saddens me ten years later. I remember going to friend's houses on Saturday nights to watch SNL, and then quoting the sketches all week long while in school. Farley seems so much a part of my youth.

I was telling Erica about the tenth anniversary of his death last night, and she reminded me that she "never really watched SNL" back then. I'm going to work diligently to bring her up to speed on classic Farley sketches thanks to YouTube. I think I'm going to start with this one:

No comments: