Friday, October 06, 2006

Crocs and Irrational Fears

I think that everyone has some sort of irrational fear. Some are more popular, like fear of clowns (someone I know has this fear, and shE shall RemaIn indesCribAble). My fear, for many years, has been escalators. I've always been certain that I was going to end up trapped in one at some point in my life. Laugh it up. Where did I acquire this irrational angst from? My sister and mother. When I was young they told me that I better keep my shoes tied at all times or else the escalator was going to suck me up. (side note: I have recalled this information to both of them since, to which they adamantly deny all of it). I used to have vivid dreams about hungry escalators trapping me for long periods of time. In fact, it still comes up every now and again in my dreams.
I was in Washington D.C. this past spring, and they have gigantic escalators. Admittedly, I was a bit nervous on them. But, I press on. And, I continue to press on... until this:

In an ABC news report this week, they identified numerous instances where children wearing crocs were getting stuck in escalators. Here is an excerpt:

"Some people have reported that kids wearing Crocs have had their feet sucked into the side of escalators. Some businesses have even posted warning signs near their escalators saying if you're wearing Crocs, be careful."

Great. Just what I needed. For those who don't know, I LOOOOVVVEEE my crocs. Despite harassment from friends, fiances, and passerbys, I still love them. And will continue to love them, even if it means greatly increasing the likelihood that one of my worst fears will come true - getting stuck in an escalator. But hey, at least while I'm stuck and the target of public sneering, my feet will be comfortable in my crocs.

No comments: