Friday, September 22, 2006

One of My Favorite Games

One of my absolute favorite games to play with other people isn't a "game" per se. It's more of a funny thing that I started doing a long while ago and have grown quite fond of it. Here's how it goes:

In regular conversation, someone will become excited about a great deal that they got, how many of something there were, or how quickly they arrived somewhere. After they preface the story, he/she will ask you to guess the particular number or price. The best thing to do in this situation is to guess extremely low or high. This generally deflates the person's story, but it makes for a really, really good laugh. Here are some examples:

Scenario A
Excited Person: "Check out my new dress. Guess how much I got this for?!?!?"
You: "Three dollars."
Excited Person: (with wind out of sails) "no, it was twenty dollars."
You: (smile)

Scenario B
Excited Person: "Guess how far we rode our bikes today?"
You: "300 miles."
Excited Person: "No. Just 25."

Scenario C (this one came courtesy of my friend Dave I taught him this game, too)
Dave's Friend: "Guess how much I paid for these plates?"
Dave: "15,000 riyals."
Dave's Friend: (general look of deflation)

Now, you may be thinking "wow, this guy is a pretty big jerk." Not so. In fact, the other person usually laughs a lot too. Then you teach them the game, and they become filled with joy as well. In fact, I'm a joy spreader. Not a jerk.

No comments: