Friday, April 25, 2008

Expensive Allergies

It's the most unpleasant time of the year.

It's allergy season.

Like clockwork, my allergies are killing me, and I'm in the allergy death valley known as southwest Ohio. I went to the doctor yesterday for allergies and he told me that I had been there on the exact same day for the past three years. I received my yearly cortizone shot, nabbed a prescription for eye drops, and went to the pharmacy to fill my prescription. (Un)lucky for me, Zyrtec is now over-the-counter, so I now have to pay roughly $0.85 per pill, which I take everyday. So here's the math breakdown:

4 months worth of pills @ $0.85 per pill -- $102.00
Eye drop prescription x 3 refills -- $90.00
Office visit -- $15.00
___________________________________________________
Total $207.00

Pretty expensive, but as any allergy sufferer will tell you, it's well worth it.

It was also interesting to note that we had to go to four different pharmacies to get Zyrtec and eyedrops (both of which are extremely common) because there was such a run on allergy medicine in Oxford.

No comments: