Friday, March 07, 2008

Officially a Terp

Well, it is official. I'm a terp.



I officially excepted an admission offer for the College Student Personnel Program at the University of Maryland. My assistantship will be in the Student Union as the Graduate Coordinator for Student Involvement & Leadership Development Programs. If you want to know more about the office, you can check it out here.

http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

Wow. What to say. It's an incredible offer, and it was very easy to accept it. I visited there last week for "Preview Days", which allowed me to interview for assistantships, meet the faculty, interact with the students, and see the campus. It was an incredible experience. Susan Komives will be my advisor, who is pioneer in student affairs, specifically in leadership education . Erica and I are actively pursuing a house director position in a sorority as well. That should be a lot of fun, and we are await the possibilities.

What has made this decision somewhat strange is that Erica is currently in Boston at a conference, so we had to make this decision over the phone. It was a relatively easy decision as Maryland has been my #1 choice since I labored over those applications a few short months ago. It was just sort of strange to utter the line "Ok, so I'm going to call and accept" over the phone to her knowing that call determines the next 3-4 years of our lives. The decision was also a lot easier because it was fairly close to home (only an hour by plane), so our families would be able to come see us easily. My other offer was on the west coast, and travel would have certainly been an issue.

So here we go. We probably won't be moving out to DC until the end of June/beginning of July. I feel so blessed to have this opportunity; it is a bit surreal to be honest. But, I have a great partner next to me to move into this next area of our lives together.

2 comments:

Jim Rogers said...

Hey buddy,

Congratulations! While I was rooting for you to end up in Boston, this is such an incredible opportunity...

Good luck and congrats again!

Jim

Julie said...

Yay!! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you (and a little jealous that you get to work with Susan ;)).