Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Two Weeks -- One Meeting

After an extended holiday break, it's nice to be back to work.

I never thought I'd say that in my entire life. To summarize, I posited that after 10 days of doing very little other than eating, working out, laughing, and loafing, I'm happy to return to my 9-5.

I have been doing a lot of reflecting as to why I enjoy my work so much. The people I work with are fantastically kind, imaginative, and complex, but that's not it. The work is very interesting and aligned with my research interests, thus preparing me well for future work in the field (i.e., PhD, faculty), but that's not it either. Perhaps it's the allure of Dayton, Ohio -- doubtful as well.
What is it then?

Well, the reason why I love my job so much is because I've been back to work for two weeks, and I've only had one official meeting. It is glorious. The days of drawing stick figures, discovering new ways to sign my name, making to-do lists, creating shopping lists, trying to name every professional sports team in my head, and thinking of blog topics are no more. For they have gone on to a better place -- a place that I will surely rediscover soon. But for now, I'll just sit back and enjoy.

"Playing dead not only comes in handy when face to face with a bear, but also at important business meetings." - Jack Handey

2 comments:

Julie said...

ah yes, my friend, you are living the dream!

MJ said...

Haha. You're too funny. I was actually just thinking about you. I'm sitting here reading "Made to Stick" by Heath & Heath -- it's a modern day Tipping Point minus the droning that Gladwell likes to do. It just came out this week. Pretty fascinating stuff.

Hope all is well with you and your recently injured husband.