Thursday, October 25, 2007

Unhappy Construction Workers

I read an article this week that highlighted a recent study showing linkages between certain jobs and depression rates. It showed that people who work closely with the elderly and children have high rates of depression (closely followed by food servers), while those who work in engineering, architecture, construction, and surveying have the lowest depression rates. Fair enough, I guess. Caring for human life is a taxing profession, so I can see that. Engineers, architects, and construction workers probably love being outside and enjoy a comfortable lifestyle.

But here's my question: If you were to observe 100 caretakers and 100 construction workers for a week who would you think would seem happier?

I think it would overwhelmingly be caretakers; exactly the opposite of the aforementioned study.

When I read this article the other day, I got to thinking about how despite their evidence that construction workers enjoy such a low depression rate, I don't know that I've ever seen a smiling construction worker in my life. Have you? Don't these pictures seem strange?





No comments: